The Young Philanthropists’ Circle (YPC) of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (MMFA) hosted its first Unplugged event of the season on Thursday, September 13th. The themed cocktail event celebrated the end of the wonderful From Africa to the Americas: Face-to-face: Picasso, Past and Present exhibit. What an incredible setup!
The Young Philanthropists’ Circle
The Circle is actually a membership group of young people (average 25-40 years old) established at the MMFA. The members are usually individuals interested in art and socializing during organized cultural events at the MMFA. It is also an opportunity to learn about art and become an active philanthropist for the Arts. All events are created by the executive committee of the YPC with the support of the museum’s dedicated foundation.
The Unplugged Events
I have always been impressed by how the committee infuses innovative details in each event they organize. Last night’s evening was no different. Firstly, we were able to visit two exhibits: “From Africa to the Americas” as well as “Here We Are Here: Black Canadian Contemporary Art”. While we were visiting, there were also experts on the exhibits who were there to give us more information about their work. So interesting!
The main exhibit presents Picasso’s pieces side by side with art from Africa, Oceania and the Americas that inspired him. It also explores the “transformation in our view of these arts from the end of the 19th century to the present day”. I enjoyed seeing the pieces that Picasso actually owned, it was nice to better understand this grandiose artist on a personal level.
Another great thing about Unplugged events is the networking. It is always a pleasure to reconnect with the Young Philanthropists’ Circle members met during prior occasions and to meet brand new members every time. Together you can enjoy the distinctive features of the event:
- Open bar with unique signature drinks
- Food stations with varied appetizers and sweet treats
- DJ and live musical acts
- Themed “photo booth” with a professional photographer
Even if the first event is over, the rest of the 2018-2019 season is looking very promising! The upcoming main exhibits are presenting works from the following artists with completely different backgrounds:
- Alexander Calder, innovative American Painter, and sculptor
- Thierry Mugler, visionary couturier
With such exciting new things coming up, this is a great time to join the ever-growing Young Philanthropists’ Circle and benefit from all the MMFA has to offer to its young members.
How to Become a Member?
- Price: $275 for the year
- Promo: Use promo code CJP_JANODY for an extra two months free!
- Access to all the Unplugged events – three per year
- Access to all the Arts Series events – similar to Unplugged events but exclusively for members – four per year
- Invitations to special vernissages
- Exclusive evenings where you can meet professionals of the art world
- Free access to all museum exhibits at all times with a plus one
Click here to purchase your membership or for more information.